A yoga session on the terrace of the room, a late check-out to enjoy even more, a direct transfer service from the airport… There are several upselling offers that you can implement in your hotel to make the experience of your guests go from good to unforgettable.
In addition, it is a great opportunity to increase income. But, what is upselling in hotels? How to implement a sales strategy in a tourist accommodation? In this post we will see all the opportunities that upselling can offer you if you manage a hotel and different techniques to apply it. Let’s go.
What is upselling in hotels?
Upselling is a practice of offering guests services or accessories for an extra charge to enhance their stay. However, it is necessary to evaluate and get to know our potential guests well in order to offer them exactly what they may want or need. The hotel experience does not have to stay in the room. The additional services and complements must be especially that add true value to the guest’s stay.
Upselling in hotels provides greater economic benefits and increases user satisfaction, thus helping to improve the reputation of the accommodation:
- Increased guest satisfaction by allowing guests to customize their stay to suit their travel style and expectations.
- Customer loyalty through personalized experiences.
- Greater profitability.
Hotel upselling techniques
The most classic hotel upselling techniques have been used for years:
- Early check-in and Late check-out. Many guests are willing to pay more to ensure that their room will be available upon arrival or that they can enjoy it until they have to leave the destination.
- Transfer. How to get from the airport/train station to the accommodation? One of the biggest concerns of guests can be easily and cost-effectively solved. Start up your own service or hire a company that offers these services in exchange for a commission.
- Parking. And for guests who travel by car (if they represent a high percentage of your guests) it may be convenient to offer them parking at the hotel, either its own or externally contracted.
If in need of some more hotel upselling ideas, here we bring you a few that we have classified by different segments: room, hotel facilities and activities.You need inspiration? So keep reading.
- Supplement for bringing pets
- Rooms with better views, more spacious or in-room services such as a bathtub or terrace.
- In-room food and drink: Especially well-stocked minibar, chilled champagne, bottles of wine, or a fruit basket.
- Packages: romantic, family, special occasions.
Services within the accommodation
- In-room dining.
- Welcome drink.
- Towel rental.
- Box office rental.
- Rental/purchase of related items (hair dryers, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant…).
External activities and services
- Transportation to the airport.
- Yoga classes.
- Show cookings.
- Guided tours.
- Spa packages and treatments.
- Lessons (golf, tennis, surfing).
- Bicycle rental.
- Excursions to local attractions.
How to apply hotel upselling successfully
Depending on whether you will apply the upselling before, upon arrival or during the stay of your guests, here are some tips that will make your techniques level up:
- Know your guests. Learn as much as you can about your guests. And above all, send the information to the reception staff so that they can offer the appropriate improvements and services.
- Personalize the offers. Personalize your offers to the maximum, so your guests will know that you care about them, thus valuing their decision to choose your hotel.
- It offers multiple upselling options. By offering varied options with different prices, you will allow your guests to choose the one that best suits them.
- Continuously train your staff. The reception staff must know well the most appropriate upselling techniques adapted to each guest.
- Enhance the digital experience for your guests by allowing them to purchase upgrades prior to arrival. Thus, you free up work for your reception staff. It is possible to offer services adapted to the consumption habits of the guest through a web app. Digitalization is crucial for upselling and thus for the management of your hotel.
With these tips, there is no excuse for not working on upselling in your establishment, since surely there is a technique that adapts perfectly to your type of guest. At Goguest we help you in the digitalization of your hotel. Contact us for more information about the possibilities of technology for upselling in hotels.