More and more people use contactless technology on a daily basis. But, what for? Especially to pay, either by card, mobile or smartwatch. Just by approaching our device a few centimeters to the reader or POS, we can pay, without having to introduce a card or type any code.
But how does contactless technology work? Why is it so popular? How can this technology be successfully applied to hotels? Let’s answer these questions in this post, here we go!
What is contactless technology?
Contactless technology is a secure technology used to perform fast transactions in a matter of seconds. The Covid-19 pandemic made this technology triumph over others.
It is a contactless communication technology that allows its users to make payments, identify themselves or access a place by simply approaching their card or smart device to a terminal, no magnetic stripe reader or chip involved.
And what are its advantages now that we have left the pandemic behind?
- Speed. With contactless technology, customers can make purchases, identify themselves, open a door or access a restricted area in a matter of seconds.
- Functionality. Contactless allows you to operate more efficiently since it automates processes that were previously done manually and involved a higher cost.
- Security: although it is done in seconds, the payment is totally secure since it only works when you are at least three centimeters away from the terminal.
How does it work?
Contactless technology works thanks to NFC (Near Field Communications), a short-range wireless technology that allows instant data transmission between devices. This technology can be incorporated into credit cards, mobile phones and other devices such as NFC wristbands, and of course in payment or identification terminals to create a communication channel to exchange data and information between them.
Contactless technology works between devices that are a few centimeters (4 or 5) apart, there is no need for direct contact.
Contactless solutions for hotels
In the hotel industry, accommodations are almost forced to reinvent themselves and innovate more and more in their processes to meet customer expectations. The complete digitization of the hotel makes it possible to offer a service adapted to guests who are used to contactless technology in their day-to-day life.
Automating and digitizing processes also means savings for the hotel and greater customer satisfaction. Contactless technology is no longer an added value in a hotel’s offer, but something essential to meet the needs of guests and be at the forefront of the latest trends.
To be able to create a total contactless experience, it is important to detail each phase of the guest journey correctly. This will make easier to assess at what points processes can be automated, replacing manual operations with contactless technology. A perfect way to make the daily tasks of the staff easier, avoid waiting and improve the customer experience. Of course, it is not about replacing human contact with machines that can do anything, on the contrary, customer service can be more efficient and closer.
Some of the contactless solutions for hotels that are already on the market are:
- Digital check-in and check-out.
- Contactless payments in all hotel services, such as the restaurant, a massage or room service.
- Smart rooms. They have connected devices, such as air conditioning and lighting, streaming television…
- Access to the room without a key. Simply by bringing the NFC bracelet, a card or your own mobile close to the electronic lock, the door will open.
- Access to restricted spaces. Same process for certain areas of the hotel such as the spa, gym, solarium…
- Rental of equipment such as towels, safe, slippers…
- Social Wifi. It allows you to offer free Wi-Fi in exchange for filling a form.
Contactless solutions for hotels:
- Facilitates the daily tasks of hotel staff.
- Reduces waiting times at the reception and restaurant.
- Avoids queues.
- Facilitates communication between staff.
- Provides statistics and management analysis in real time.
- Simplifys processes (reservations, registrations, room requests…).
- Increases spending per customer.
- Allows you to customize the service.
- Documents processes transparently and avoids information loss.